Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kid's Parties, Clowns and an Epiphany at a Kebab Shop

I believe that someday women will rule the world. Why? Let me tell you
a story. My girlfriend at the time had a small start-up company that
did kid's birthday parties and events. One time, she called me on my
cell phone that her car broke down and she needed to host a party
right now in New Jersey. So she asked me for a favor if I could go out
and help her buy some things for her scheduled parties while it's
still early. The thing was, there was both a birthday party in NY and
NJ, and I only had time to get to one of them. I said: I am not going
to look for childrens birthday party entertainment in NJ. That's too
far for me. Besides, I'm not going to able to get there in time. She
told me that if I don't get there in time, she is going to lose a big
client and her credibility in that area. Also, she told me in all
seriousness that scared me for a second that I'm never going to be
able to 'tap that' ever again. Ever a trooper, I grudgingly obeyed. Of
course, once I said yes, she became cheerful again and said I was the
best boyfriend ever. Chicks. Go figure.So my task was to go and get
two things. First, I had to look for children party clowns in NY. The
party wasn't going to start until later, but since we lived in
Brooklyn, I figured I would do that first. I looked at the yellow
pages for birthday clowns and found a few businesses nearby. I called
up the first number on the list and surprisingly, got them to agree to
go to the venue later despite the short notice. Sweet, so that was
done. The next errand was to get some party favors for the party she
was hosting in Newark. I had maybe just about an hour to get there in
time. I hurriedly flipped the yellow pages again checking for more
businesses in the New Jersey area. Coincidentally, there was this one
shop really close to where the NJ party was. So I threw the book down
and ran to my car. I ran swift like the wind knowing that if I don't
make it I won't see poon for a long, long time, or at least until she
reneges. But don't we all know that a long, long time will always be
sooner?I got there just before the hour and quickly went inside. It
either smelled something like you went to a kebab shop or they were
just trying to ward of vampires with garlic. Actually, it was a kebab
shop. Immediately, I was alarmed. I didn't check for other addresses
in the yellow pages.The person at the counter said with his thick
accent: Birthday party for kid in NY? Or would you like a doner kebab?
Whew. I thought for a second. Uh, yes and I also have to get some
things for this birthday party here in Newark too. I was blackmailed
to arrange the birthday party entertainment for kids in Newark where
my girlfriend is hosting. I replied. Ah. Women. What can we do, eh? he
chuckled. What can we do? I answered. Can't live with 'em, can't live
without 'em, huh? He just nodded and smiled. We both knew the answer
to that.The party toys are at back there's room full of them inside.
Would you like spicy or garlic sauce with that?As soon as I paid for
the toys and the kebab, I was on my way. I got to the party just in
time. With a sack full of toys on one hand and a kebab on the other, I
was the hero of the day. Also, the kebab was delicious. My girlfriend
gushed that I was the best and said: I was going to give you a kiss,
but you smell like garlic. Ah. Such is my lot in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment